Sunday 8 April 2012

Yellow Flower Top - NewLook 6807

This is the first in a series of T-shirts i am making with NewLook 6807. I have used this pattern three times before to make the Grey New Years Top and two other which did not work out so well. I was worried when i started this project that the knit i chose would be too stretchy (it has 4 way stretch), but actually it turn out to be just right. This top is the perfect casual summer t-shirt, i shall be wearing this lots and lots.

Yellow Flower Top - NewLook 6807
Yellow Flower Top - NewLook 6807

I have deviated quite a bit from the original pattern this time. I raised the neck line at the front by cutting along the size 18 line instead of size 10 and got rid of the centre back seam and the neck tie. 

Yellow Flower Top - NewLook 6807

I also made a massive changes to the body by widening the front towards the bottom and narrowing the back towards the bottom, then putting elastic through the hem. I did this by copying a RTW top that i bought a few weeks ago which is constructed like that. I have had a few tops with this kind of construction and find it really flattering. I have no idea what this technique is called i have tried a Internet search but came up empty handed. Any ideas?

Yellow Flower Top - NewLook 6807. The front is wider than the back.
I don't own a serger/overlock machine, so i did this on a regular sewing machine, using zig zag stitch. The seams seam stable and strong so i don't really get what the whole fuss about doing knits on a serger/overlocker is all about. 

No comments:

Post a Comment