Sunday 10 February 2013

Chamonix Head - Free Headband Pattern

I have been wanting to create my own patterns to share for some time. At last i have done it. The Chamonix Head headband is my first knitting pattern of my own, that is ready to share.

Chamonix, France, free pattern, handmade, hat, headband, knit, knitting, Ravelry, yarn

Living in the Chamonix valley there is knitting inspiration all around. There are masses of ski shops and one whole shop full of colourful knitted head wear. The only problem being a knitter is you see these things and think ' I could make that, only better'. It is nearly always cheaper it is to knit your own, as these hats are nearly all made of cheep fibres.

So almost from the instant i got here, my brain has been a hub of knitting activity. I have got several projects on the go, two of which i have actually created patterns for. Which is very exciting as i have had several false starts over the years.

The Chamonix Head is very warm, it has a double layer of knitting. On the inside there is plain stockinnete stitch, and on the outside a thatched cable pattern.To compensate for the cable pattern i have had to add increases and change up the needle side.

Chamonix, France, free pattern, handmade, hat, headband, knit, knitting, Ravelry, yarn

Here are the detains of the pattern.

You will need to know how to do
Knit, purl, increases and decreases, casting on and off and also basic cables.

Yarn
1 ball of DK or worsted yarn. I used Drops Lima (65% wool, 35% Alpaca)

Needles
4.5mm circular or set of DPNS.
7mm circular or set of DPNS.
(6mm circular or set of DPNS, if desired).
I used a 60 cm (24 inch) circular needle, so I could knit in the round. You could also use a longer one and use the magic loop method.

Gauge
19 stitches to 10cm (4inches).

The Chamonix Head can either down load this page or from my ravery page.

Chamonix, France, free pattern, handmade, hat, headband, knit, knitting, Ravelry, yarn

Chamonix, France, free pattern, handmade, hat, headband, knit, knitting, Ravelry, yarn

Chamonix, France, free pattern, handmade, hat, headband, knit, knitting, Ravelry, yarn

6 comments:

  1. I wish I knew enough about about knitting to make that headband but as I know only the basics, I'll just wait and learn a little bit more before attempting something as intricate as that. Congrats, that's a beautiful pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, the pattern is not that hard really. I love cables, because they are so easy yet look so intricate.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the idea of bombing!!! I've been extreme knitting , at the top of the Jonction, and the Grand Montets. Even managed some running round the CCC last Sept. ('12)
    Unfortunately you're in Scotland now, I think?. Love the pattern,

    ReplyDelete
  4. Buff high protection functional multicolor hair headband.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The gauge listed is on what size needles?

    ReplyDelete