Monday 26 November 2012

My Wurm Hat

Wurm Hat, knitting, Katharina Nopp

This is the Wurm hat by Katharina Nopp you can find it a a free Ravelry download. This was such a simple knit, yet the results look so much more professional than my usual hand knit stuff. 

Wurm Hat, knitting, Katharina Nopp

I usually shy away from hats which have a folded brim. As my first try at a hat, the brim was just massive and so unattractive. On this hat the brim is formed by working stockinette stitch, with a row of purl in the middle. The brim is then folded at the purl row and the cast on picked up at the top of the brim. Giving this neat edge. I shall defently use this method again for making a brim.

Wurm Hat, knitting

I used some old cheap acrylic yarn form my stash, as i could not find 5 ply anywhere. But the results are just as good as if i had used real wool. I have turned into such a yarn snob. I only cast-on 95 stitches instead of the 100 required to make up for my slightly too chunky yarn. Luckily the number of stitches cast-on for a project like this wont affect the pattern.

Wurm Hat, knitting

Finally, the only problem with this pattern i found is that when you pull at the back slightly it slouches kind of strangely. 

Wurm Hat, knitting

My Ravelry notes.


4 comments:

  1. Can you help me. The pattern of this hat that I found on ravelry does not even mention the p1, k1 ribbing for the edging, I find this very confusing, is it that she assumes you'll just put the edge on that you want on it? I guess I found this pattern just a little confusing. Thanks and yours is so beautiful!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The pattern does not ask for k1,p1 ribbing. It is instead a double layer of plain stocking net. It is knit in the round so you cast-on then just do plain knit stitch, until you get to the purl round, which acts as the fold. Then carry on with the plain knit stitch.

    I was very doubtful it would work when i first read the pattern, but i just followed it as it was and it came out perfectly. I now love this kind of rim, as it is so warm.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My daughter found this pattern and now many of us in our Knit and Natter Group have made it in various colours and types of yarn, some with tassels or a big button added. It is the first hat that actually suits me and feels so snug. After the first Wurm was knitted the rest of us made the hat two rounds shorter, this made it less heavy at the back and less inclined to make that odd slouch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. do you know how to crochet? Is there a way to convert this pattern to crochet? I am willing to pay for a crochet version pattern.
      TIA

      Delete