Sunday 1 April 2012

A-Line Skirt

Well for £1 i have managed to squeeze out two half decent skirts, not bad as i am on a budget. First with my pencil skirt and now with this A-line skirt. I reused my skirt sloper; following the tutorial on the Burdastyle site to convert it to an A-line skirt.

A-line skirt

Grey cable bag
Cable bag.

I've really been on a learning drive recently, reading my Simplicity Sewing Book that i picked up last month, trying to learn how to sew properly and actually practice what i am learning. I really like the Simplicity book its easy enough to understand, but some times i wish it would go into more detail. The chapter 1 is awesome, is all about fashion and clothes to flatter your figure, it written in the 80's, so all the clothes are horrible and not flattering at all. But the sewing stuff is good. When i am knitting or crocheting, i have a tendency just to cast on 20 stitches and hope after a few rows i know what i am going to be making, and make the pattern up in may head there after. This method has produced some really awesome stuff like this bag. But mostly i just have just spent a lot of time knotting yarn into a big mess. I really need not to get into this habit with my sewing.



A-line skirt

Before making this skirt, i read up on seams and knit seams. And also tried out a blind hem, which worked great in my practice pieces, but failed on the skirt. So the skirt was unpicked and i just did a single turn up on the hem. It makes the skirt longer, which is an advantage because i forgot to add a hem allowance to my pattern pieces. Oops.

A-line skirt
A-line skirt





No comments:

Post a Comment