Sunday 24 March 2013

Crochet Terms, American or British?


I am a self taught crocheter. I learnt via YouTube and taking books out from the library. I was very aware in the beginning that British and American terminologie was very different, in that we use the same wording for different stitches, very confusing.


I can remember thinking more in terms of American terminologie in the beginning, so just thought that i would always use American as my go to language. Then last week i wrote a pattern of sorts and posted it on my blog. It has now only just occurred to me that i used British terminologie. I think this turn around in my thinking has occurred because i have read and used quite a few vintage British pattern in the last year, e.g. the blue berret, and the Victorian crochet collar

So now i have to discide what to do. Do i keep using British termanologie or revert back to American?

In favor of British is the fact that i am British, and any books or old patterns that i come across will nearly always be written in British.

Then there is the Beast which is the internet, which i do love. Where mostly American is used and the American to British split of my readers is about 2:1. 

Source: http://knotsewcute.blogspot.com


As a side note, there is also the issue of my spelling. Obviously i used British, but i read so much American i know that there are words that i spell the American way, but i don't even realize and spell checker often changes my Britishness to American without my permission, despite ticking all the right boxes. So that's in a hopeless Mid-Atlantic place as well. I could never convert my spelling totally to American because there i so many words that i am unaware that are spell differently.

So, should i change my crochet terms?

No comments:

Post a Comment